gravatar

Is It Just Me or Most Web 2.0 Domain Names Suck?

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing around TechCrunch when I came across some articles that were listing web startups that would be participating on a Demo event.

The idea about getting startups grouped together to demonstrate what they products or services can do is pretty interesting, but that was not what caught my attention. Instead, I could not help but think about how bad some of these domain names were. Here are a few examples:

  • Webmynd.com (browsing history tracker)
  • Insoshi.com (social network platform)
  • Omnisio (video sharing)
  • Wundrbar (improved search)
  • Qrimp.com (web apps)
  • Gwt-ext.com (widget library)
  • Twitxr.com (picture sharing)
  • Yokld.com (local business finder)

I mean, Wundrbar.com? Gwt-ext.com? For real?

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that all my websites have awesome domain names. Even DailyBlogTips is a pretty average one; it is long and has 3 words. There is one big difference though: when I started these sites I had no clue of where I was going, and my startup budget was $10.

These companies, on the other hand, are trying to revolutionize their segments; to provide some innovative service that will become popular on the Internet. Usually they also have thousands of dollars backing them up (sometimes even millions of dollars…).

When I come across some of these names I get the impression that the company sent its secretary to ajaxwhois.com and told her to play around until she came out with a “cool” domain that was still available.

The takeaway message is: if you are going to launch a web startup, make sure to devote some of your time and money into finding or purchasing a good domain name. You will be stuck with it for the rest of the life of the company, after all.

Update: If you are looking for a domain names ebook, check out “Killer Domains.” It has all the tools and techniques that I use to find great and available domain names.

Pengikut